Headquarters: Los Angeles
We're building a bank for creators.
Your favorite digital creators—the ones you follow every day on YouTube, Instagram, TikTok or Twitch—aren’t just extraordinarily talented personalities and community builders. They’re also businesses. That means they have business needs—managing revenues, expenses, savings, credit, banking. We’re building products that help creators spend less time worrying about finances so they can focus on creating.
One of those products is design services. We’re building an in-house studio that supports internal marketing clients (events, social and organic media, advertising, content, etc)—and external creators/clients who are just starting to build their brands and need a steady hand to guide them.
This is an intriguing opportunity for an experienced art director who, aside from exceptional craft, has the entrepreneurial drive to build a studio and the flexibility to lead or manage projects for traditional and non-traditional clientele.
Some of the things you'll do here:
- Create distinct and memorable work for Karat and creators. You’ll concept, produce, and manage projects end-to-end.
- Grow a team: hire and manage freelancers, contractors, studios, and FT staff, setting a bar that reflects the stature of the company and the creators we serve.
- Manage the studio: scheduling, staffing, budgets, pitches, briefs—you’ll help build a studio from the ground up, establishing process, tools, feedback loops…(and eventually hire a studio manager :)
- Evaluate the team—and work—regularly to gauge quality, consistency, and results.
To succeed here, you'll need:
- 6+ years of relevant experience at an agency, design firm, or brand.
- Experience in on/offline graphic design, advertising, marketing, branding, and corp communication—most of which is featured in your portfolio.
- Management skills: coaching and mentoring; hiring and firing; pitches and briefs; budgets and process.
- A proactive, collaborative, low-ego style. You love working with people and people love working with you.
- A restless, curious nature that keeps you aware of everything from culture and trends to tools and technologies.
- Speaking of tools, you’re skilled with a few of these: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Figma, After Effects, etc.
Huge opportunity. The creator economy just flew past a $50b milestone despite zero infra for creator banking. It’s our race to lose.
Fascinating problems. We reduce financial risk so creators can take creative risks. The work you do in building a creator bank quite literally impacts contemporary culture.
The right team. We’ve worked at the largest investment banks (Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley), investment managers (Blackstone, TPG), and social networks (Instagram). We started this company to leverage our experiences to help creators.
Culture. We love hanging out with board games, delicious dinners, and brisk hikes as much as we enjoy delving into personal philosophy, management theory, and nitty gritty business details. Don't be afraid to bring yourself to work!
Resources and growth. We’re well capitalized from top investors like Signal Fire and Union Square Ventures; CEOs from YouTube, Twitter, Wealthfront, and CAA; and investors including Twitch co-founder Kevin Lin, Y Combinator, CRV, and Coatue. We keep a lean team, and this is a rare opportunity to join. You’ll learn a lot, build foundational products, and grow as our company scales.
- Flexible and remote work culture
- Competitive compensation and equity
- Health, dental, vision
- 401k (or CPP for Canucks)
- Home office and/or co-working allowance
- Personal development budget
- Your very own Karat card
- Meet with and build for your favorite creators
This is a remote position, but ideal for candidates based in Los Angeles, CA.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/karat-financial-art-director